10 for 10
CLC participants pick up a lot of great information during their programs and at events. CLC staff also learn a lot about leadership and CLE in the course of its work. Here are some insightful and just plain fun top-10 lists being produced on the 10th of each month for 10 months during CLC's 10th anniversary this year.
Top 10 Leadership Quotes
- “Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate, and doubt to offer a solution everybody can understand.” - Colin Powell
- “Leadership is a series of behaviors rather than a role for heroes.” - Margaret Wheatley
- “Leadership is getting people to follow when they have the option not to follow; otherwise it is power and using power is the abdication of leadership.” - Jim Collins
Top 10 Hidden Gems of CLE
- Edgewater Dog Beach
- Daffodil Hill in Lakeview Cemetery
- Terminal Tower Observation Deck
Top 10 Leadership Books
- What Got You Here Won't Get You There, by Marshall Goldsmith.
- Leading with GRIT, by Laurie Sudbrink.
- Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope, and Compassion, by Richard E. Boyatzis
Top 10 Behind the Scenes moments at CLC programs
- Being grateful when you see the buses pull in at the time you expected them.
- Arriving at 6:45 a.m. for set-up of the venue.
- Keeping a pop-up recycle bin around just in case.
Top 10 Dining Spots for the RNC
- Sokolowski's University Inn
- Melt Bar & Grilled
- Heinen's Grocerty Store Downtown
Top 10 Leadership Lessons
- Start with the "why" of what you do.
- Civic systems are messy and require collaborative leadership.
- Leaders show up.
Top 10 things heard around CLC
- "The candy bowl is empty!" Candy is a major food group for CLC staff members.
- "Are you seeing this sunrise/sunset?" The 24th-floor offices offer some pretty amazing views.
- "I think the building is swaying... again." The 24th-floor offices also incur vertigo on windy days.
Top 10 staff memories
- "Working with the Leadership Council" These 25 highly-engaged alumni from all CLC programs have brought renewed energy and excitement to CLC.
- "The Starbucks Foundation" This was CLC's first national grant.
- "Behind the Scenes at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History" The taxidermy room is full of stuffed animals of all exotic types; truly a unique experience!
Top 10 Wishes for CLC
- Impacting the lives of those who need help the most with LC2's "First 2,000 days" project.
- Seeing CLC alumni show off their enhanced collaborative leadership skills to make a difference in the community.
- Creating a robust and connected portal for connecting talent to opportunities.
Top 10 wishes for Cleveland in 2017
- Young and emerging leaders continue to make a significant mark on Cleveland.
- Continued progress towards meaningful lake front/waterfront development.
- Healing and progress on civic issues that divide our community.
Stay tuned on the 10th of every month for the next list.