Career mentoring helps Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) students understand the breadth of career options available and begin to see new pathways to success.
Paving the way for CMSD students
Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) students are provided with a host of career mentoring opportunities throughout the school year to help them understand the full spectrum of career and educational options available to them and to ready them for those careers.
Individuals from a variety of career backgrounds meet with the students to discuss their careers. Students are provided with a list of “20 Questions” to try to guess their guests’ field of work. Volunteers share their personal educational and career journey, as well as give students some insight around other possibilities in their field. Volunteers are then paired in group of two or three and rotate between classrooms spending 15-20 minutes with small groups of students. Volunteers are being sought from various backgrounds, individuals from the STEM and automotive industries are specifically needed.
Upcoming career circles:
- October 27, 2017 | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. | Mc2STEM High School
- November 6, 2017 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Lincoln West High School
- December 11, 2017 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Lincoln West High School
- January 26, 2018 | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. | Mc2STEM High School
- January 29, 2018 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Lincoln West High School
- February 12, 2018 | 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. | New Tech West
- March 5, 2018 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Lincoln West High School
- March 9, 2018 | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. | Mc2STEM High School
- April 30, 2018 | 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. | Lincoln West High School
- May 18, 2018 | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. | Mc2STEM High School
Ongoing Career Mentoring
Career mentors are also matched with individual and small groups of students for a more in-depth mentoring experience. Mentors work with the students on interview skills, help expand their horizons regarding career options and educational opportunities. Mentor across career levels and sectors are needed.
Internship Preparedness Program
This program aims to prepare high school students to enter the professional workplace. Topics can include: professional attire, resume building, interviewing skills, Microsoft Office 101, effective workplace communication, networking 101, public speaking, social media use in the workplace, and phone and email etiquette. It occurs during the first two weeks of the school year. Volunteers, particularly managers and/or H.R. professionals are needed.
- May 4, 2018 | 1:00 – 3:30 p.m. | Mc2STEM High School