Look Up To Cleveland
Since 1986, Look Up To Cleveland (LookUp) has been a one-of-a-kind experience that connects high school students to Cleveland and the people, places and projects moving it forward. They develop leadership skills and see first-hand how they can contribute to their community.
"LookUp has multiplied my self-confidence and risk-taking abilities ... [it] showed me that not only is Cleveland my home, but also that Cleveland needs me. It was humbling and exciting at the same time to realize that I have a responsibility as a member of this community."
-- LookUp 2016 participant
- Introduces students to community leaders they otherwise would not meet – including the Mayor of Cleveland.
- Cultivates an appreciation of Cleveland and its opportunities.
- Breaks down stereotypes, promotes diversity awareness and fosters inclusive thinking and action by bringing together students from a variety of ethnic, economic and social backgrounds.
- Develops leadership skills and encourages team building.
- Challenges students to develop networking skills and envision how they can make a difference in the community now and in the future.
These experiences have a lasting impact on their lives and serve as stepping stones for their school careers and success later in life. In post-program evaluations, students indicated nearly 100% improvement from the beginning of the program to the end for the following statements:
- Knowledge of Cleveland's civic strengths and weaknesses.
- Ability to use information about the community to envision Cleveland's future.
- Ability to think critically about how relationships between civic assets, issues and stakeholders impact the community.
LookUp is offered in two formats:
- School year program: Seven full-day sessions, roughly one per month from October through April, including an overnight retreat. Applications for the school year program are available at the start of the school year.
- Summer program: A one-week session (Monday through Friday) offered twice each summer. 2017 dates are June 26-30 and July 17-21.
School year applications will be open from May 1 through June 2, 2017.
Want more information, or have questions? Contact Christen DuVernay, Director of Look Up to Cleveland, at email@example.com or (216) 592-2296.
The LookUp school year session is offered at no cost to participants, and while the LookUp summer program does charge a modest tuition, it does not cover costs. Additionally, almost half of LookUp summer participants receive financial assistance, with many receiving full scholarships. Philanthropic support is necessary to keep these programs available to all.
Please consider a donation to the Look Up To Cleveland scholarship fund to help those who might not otherwise be able to participate in this life-changing experience.