How it works
Applicants are selected to pitch in one of six categories and a panel of judges drawn from community leaders select one finalist in each category. The six finalists pitch again to the full audience, which votes on the winner. The winner receives $5,000 and the remaining five finalists each receive $2,000 to help bring their ideas to life. The Technovation competition will award $3,500 to the most innovative technology-based idea.
Click on the tabs below to learn more about the event.
Thursday, February 24, 2022
Global Center for Health Innovation
(1 Saint Clair Ave, NE)
4:00 p.m. Check-in & networking
4:30 p.m. Category competitions (Education, Health & Well-being) + Technovation competition
5:45 p.m. Category competitions (Authentic Cleveland Experiences, Economic Prosperity, Quality of Life, Social Change)
6:00 p.m. Networking reception
7:00 p.m. Finalist competition
Click on the tabs above to learn more about the event.
Anyone with an idea to improve the Greater Cleveland community can apply. Proposed ideas cannot be affiliated with an established organization or business.
Application & Selection
Applicants submit proposals to pitch their idea at the event via an online form, through which you’ll address each of the following areas in 250 words or less.
- A description of the initiative.
- The community issue it addresses.
- How it will benefit the community.
- Why you are passionate about the issue.
- How you will know if the initiative is successful.
- How the prize money would help you achieve your goals.
An independent panel of reviewers selects 30 proposals (five from each category) to be presented at the event based on:
- Potential for community impact and advancing NE Ohio.
- How unique, creative and innovative the initiative is.
- A realistic implementation plan that would be aided by the prize money.
Those selected have up to five minutes to pitch at the event.
Applications for Accelerate 2022 are now closed. Applications for Accelerate 2023 will open November 1, 2022.
Authentic Cleveland Experiences
Presented in partnership with Destination Cleveland and KJK
Providing residents and visitors with immersive and emotionally impressive experiences that evoke the essence of Cleveland.
Presented in partnership with Lubrizol and MAGNET: The Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network
Strengthening individual pathways for employment and financial success.
Presented in partnership with Nordson
Advancing access, readiness, and success for pre-k through college students.
Health & Well-being
Presented in partnership with Oatey Co. and Construction Employers Association
Promoting the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of individuals and their communities.
Quality of Life
Presented in partnership with Growth Opps and Thompson Hine
Improving lives through art, culture, the environment, and community improvement projects.
Presented in partnership with Oswald Companies and Westfield
Increasing equity, access, and opportunities within communities.
Presented in partnership with Cleveland Foundation
Technovation, a separate pitch competition at Accelerate, offers an additional opportunity for pitch submissions that include a technology component. All Accelerate applicants whose idea includes a technology component can apply to pitch at Technovation in addition to their selected Accelerate category.
The top innovative, community-driven tech idea for social good gets $3,500.
Although the Technovation applications are reviewed separately from the Accelerate categories, the same selection criteria are used for both.
Tory Coats (Accelerate 2018 winner) and his Dare 2 Believe young entrepreneurs showcase their products and services. Learn more about the teen entrepreneurship program on Tory’s website.
- Authentic Cleveland Experiences
Destination Cleveland & KJK
- Economic Prosperity
Lubrizol & MAGNET: The Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network
- Health & Well-being
Construction Employers Association & Oatey Co.
- Quality of Life
Growth Opps & Thompson Hine
- Social Change
Oswald Companies & Westfield
PAST PRESENTERS SHOWCASE SPONSOR
Jackson Lewis P.C.
TEEN POP UP SHOPS SPONSOR
Burton D. Morgan Foundation
The NRP Group
Zinner & Co. LLP
- 2022 Host Committee
ACCELERATE 2022 HOST COMMITTEE
The Host Committee helps make Accelerate possible.
A $350 Host donation included access to virtual Accelerate pre- and post-events, and a swag bag to enjoy along with the virtual competition. Donations at $500 and $1,000 received additional virtual admissions, as well as provided additional financial support to make the event possible.
- Jim Malz (LC 2005), President, Citizens, Ohio
- Rick Fedorovich (CLI 2020, LC 2015), Executive Chairman, Bober Markey Fedorovich & Chair, CLC Board of Trustees
- James Aronoff (LC 2012), Thompson Hine
- Mitch Balk (LC 2001), Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation
- John Beer (LC2 2019, LC 2018, CLC Board), PNC Bank
- Mike Benz (LL, ALI 2018, LC 1995, CLC Board), Ciuni & Panichi
- Kip Bollin (LC 2020, CLC Board), Thompson Hine LLP
- Micki Byrnes (LL, CEBC 2012, LC 2005), WKYC
- William Caster (LC 2010, CLC Board), Fifth Third Private Bank
- Anita Cook (LC2 2015, LC 2014)
- Rollie DeMonte (CBB 2012, CLI 2010), Jackson Lewis P.C.
- Todd Federman (LC2 2016, LC 2015), North Coast Angel Fund
- Suzanne Ferrara (LC 2021), PNC
- David Gilbert (LC 2001), Greater Cleveland Sports Commission & Destination Cleveland
- Elizabeth Grove (LC 2021), Lubrizol
- Patrick Hackett (OBC 2019, CLC Leadership Council), Axuall Inc.
- David Heller (LC 2020, CLC Board), The NRP Group
- Michael Jeans (LC 2016), Growth Opps
- Ira Kaplan (LC 2003), Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff LLP
- Ethan Karp (LC2 2018, LC 2017, CLC Board), MAGNET The Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network
- Kelly Keefe (LC 2020, CLI 2012), ERC
- Robert Klonk (LC2 2017, LC 2016, CLC Board), Oswald Companies
- Susan Krantz (CLI 2011), Zinner & Co. LLP
- Edward Largent III (LC 2010), Westfield
- Wayne Lawrence, Weiss Movers and Storage
- Tim Linville (LC 2022), Construction Employers Association
- Brian Marita, (LC2 2015, LC 2014, CLC Board), Ciuni & Panichi
- Dorothy Moulthrop, Open Doors Academy
- Erin Gay Miyoshi (CBB 2021, CLC Board), Ursuline College
- Ginger Mlakar (LC2 2015, LC 2014, CLC Board), Cleveland Foundation
- Brittany O’Connor (CBB 2003), Citizens Bank
- Shelly Peet (LC2 2013, LC 2009, CLC Board), Nordson
- Jon Pinney (LC2 2019, LC 2018), KJK
- Cecilia Render, Nordson Corporation Foundation
- Neal Restivo (LC 2017, CLC Board), Oatey Co.
- Kim Riley (LC 2017), Hylant Group
- Jim Rollins (LC 2020), Meaden & Moore Ltd.
- Stuart Rosenberg (LC2 2014, LC 2013, CLC Board), Westfield
- Mark Ross (LC 2016), PwC (retired)
- Marc Sanchez (LC 2013, CLC Board), Frantz Ward LLP
- Gary Shamis, Winding River Consulting
- Joe Smucny (LC 2016, CBB 2002), Centric Consulting
- Doug Spiker (LC 2014, CLI 2011), Roetzel & Andress
- Drew Stelzer (CBB 2021, OBC 2019), Schauer Group, Inc.
- Mark Sutherland (CLI 2020, LC 2016, CLC Board)
- David Valent (LookUp 2000, CLC Leadership Council), Cleveland Clinic
- Ken Vincinquerra
- Tod Wagner (LC 2017), Bober Markey Fedorovich
- Kristin Warzocha (LC 2010, CBB 2002, CLC Board), Greater Cleveland Food Bank
- Leon Wilson (CLI 2016), Cleveland Foundation
Committee in formation. List is as of 2/7/2022.
Accelerate in the news
- Heights Observer feature of Michael Bustamante and Lauren Voinovich.
- TV 20 recap of the event featuring a number of presenters from 2022 and prior years.
- Spotlight of the event by WKYC reporter, Chris Webb (Accelerate 2015 Finalist) with 2022 winners, Shane Winnyk and Courtney Smith.
- FreshWater Cleveland feature of 2022 presenter, Gelise Thomas.
- Cleveland Jewish News spotlight of 2022 Finalist, Amalia Haas.
- Sound of Ideas interview with 2022 winners, Shane Winnyk and Courtney Smith, and Finalists, India Hobbs, Amalia Haas, and Adam King.
- Cleveland.com article highlighting the event and winners, Shane Winnyk and Courtney Smith.
- We The People show about the impact of Accelerate with Citizens’ Brittany O’Connor and CLC’s Marianne Crosley.