Accelerate is a pitch competition which gives individuals across Greater Cleveland the chance to win seed money to help launch their idea to make the region a better place.
How it works
Applicants are selected to pitch in one of six categories and a panel of judges drawn from community leaders select one finalist in each category. The six finalists pitch again to the full audience, which votes on the winner. The winner receives $5,000 and the remaining five finalists each receive $2,000 to help bring their ideas to life.
Accelerate 2021 tickets are available now on a Pay What You Can basis. Get your tickets today! Your Accelerate ticket purchase gains you access to all six of the category competitions, the Technovation competition, as well as the finalist competition. And since it’s all virtual this year, you can see all the pitches! You’ll also get access to view recordings of the pitches in case you miss the live stream.
Click on the tabs below to learn more about the event.
- Event Details
- Application Process
- Pitch Categories
- Past Presenters' Row
- Dare2Believe Pop-Up Shops
Thursday, February 25, 2021
Accelerate 2021 is a virtual experience.
The category pitch competition and Technovation sessions will feature pre-recorded pitches each followed by a live presenter Q&A with the judges. Winners will be announced prior to the finalist competition on the 25th. The category schedule is:
- Monday, February 22, 2021
- 4:00-5:00 p.m. Authentic Cleveland Experiences
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. Education
- Tuesday, February 23, 2021
- 4:00-5:00 p.m. Economic Development
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. Health & Well-being
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- 4:00-5:00 p.m. Social Change
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. Quality of Life
- Thursday, February 25, 2021
- 4:00-7:30 p.m. Technovation + Finalist competition
Virtual networking will take place Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 5:00-5:30 p.m. and 6:30-7:00 p.m.
The Finalist pitches will be live streamed with virtual audience voting for the winner the evening of February 25. Details coming soon!
Accelerate 2021 tickets are now available on a Pay What You Can basis. Last year, tickets were $35 per person.
Click on the tabs above to learn more about the event.
Follow the Accelerate 2021 Facebook event for event notifications and updates.
Anyone with an idea to improve the Greater Cleveland community can apply. Proposed ideas cannot be affiliated with an established organization or business.
Application & Selection
Applicants submit proposals to pitch their idea at the event via an online form, through which you’ll address each of the following areas in 250 words or less.
- A description of the initiative.
- The community issue it addresses.
- How it will benefit the community.
- Why you are passionate about the issue.
- How you will know if the initiative is successful.
- How the prize money would help you achieve your goals.
An independent panel of reviewers selects 30 proposals (five from each category) to be presented at the event based on:
- Potential for community impact and advancing NE Ohio.
- How unique, creative and innovative the initiative is.
- A realistic implementation plan that would be aided by the prize money.
Those selected have up to five minutes to pitch at the event.
Applications for Accelerate 2021 are now closed.
Authentic Cleveland Experiences
In partnership with Destination Cleveland and KJK
Creating an immersive and one-of-a-kind experience that (re)connects residents and visitors with Cleveland’s diverse population, resilient spirit, and destination assets.
Category pitch competition will take place on Monday, February 22, 2021, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
In partnership with The Lubrizol Corporation and MAGNET: The Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network
Stimulating the economy, growing employment, and building financial literacy.
Category pitch competition will take place on Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
In partnership with Nordson
Advancing access, readiness, and success for pre-k through college students.
Category pitch competition will take place on Monday, February 22, 2021, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Health & Well-being
In partnership with Oatey and Thompson Hine LLP
Promoting the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of individuals and their communities.
Category pitch competition will take place on Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Quality of Life
In partnership with The MetroHealth System
Improving lives through art, culture, the environment, and community improvement projects.
Category pitch competition will take place on Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
In partnership with The MetroHealth System
Addressing complex social challenges by promoting equity, access, and opportunity.
Category pitch competition will take place on Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
In partnership with the Cleveland Foundation
The Cleveland Foundation is awarding $3,500 to the top innovative technology idea at Accelerate.
All pitches that opt in to the Technovation competition will be reviewed by a selection committee assembled by the Cleveland Foundation and five presenters will be selected. The same three selection criteria will be used for both Technovation and the Accelerate category competition (see Application Process tab for criteria).
Since the selection committees for Technovation and Accelerate are separate, the five presenters selected for Technovation may or may not be selected to present in their identified Accelerate category.
The Technovation competition will take place on Thursday, February 25, 2021, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
Catch up with past Accelerate participants and hear how their ideas are coming to life and creating positive change.
In partnership with Burton D. Morgan Foundation
In 2018, Tory Coats won Accelerate with his pitch for Dare2Believe Pop-Up Shops – a way to teach high school students business skills by doing business. His young entrepreneurs showcased and sold their wares at Accelerate 2019 and 2020. They will once again be a part of Accelerate in 2021.
ACCELERATE 2021 PARTNERS
Lead category partner
The MetroHealth System
Destination Cleveland, KJK, The Lubrizol Corporation, MAGNET: The Manufacturing Advocacy and Growth Network, Nordson Corporation, Oatey Co., Oswald Companies, Thompson Hine LLP, and Westfield
Technovation competition host
Dare2Believe Pop-Up Shops sponsor
Burton D. Morgan Foundation
ECDI, Weiss Movers and Storage
ACCELERATE 2021 HOST COMMITTEE
The Host Committee helps make Accelerate possible. Be a part of this group driving positive change in our community – become a Host today.
A $350 Host donation includes access to virtual Accelerate pre- and post-events, potential in-person opportunities that meet safety guidelines, and a swag bag to enjoy along with the virtual competition. Donations at $500 and $1,000 will gain additional virtual admissions as well as provide additional financial support to make the event possible. (Tax deductibility to be determined based on event costs.)
- 2021 Host Committee
- Jim Malz (LC 2005), President, Citizens Bank, Ohio
- Rick Fedorovich (LC 2015), CEO & Managing Partner, Bober Markey Fedorovich + Chair, CLC Board of Trustees
- Charles Aquino (LC 2016), Western Reserve Partners, a Division of Citizens Capital Markets Inc.
- Mitchell Balk (LC 2001), Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation
- John Beer (LC2 2019, LC 2018, CLC Board), PNC Bank
- Kip Bollin (LC 2020, CLC Board), Thompson Hine LLP
- John Bonfiglio (LC 2015, CBB 2003), BSB Partners
- Akram Boutros (LC 2015), The MetroHealth System
- William Caster (LC 2010, CLC Board), Fifth Third Private Bank
- Fiona Chambers (LC 2014, LC 2013), Deloitte
- Joe Compton (LC2 2015, LC 2014), Marcum LLP
- Anita Cook (LC2 2015, LC 2014)
- Todd Federman (LC2 2016, LC 2015), North Coast Angel Fund
- Matthew Fieldman (CBB 2012), MAGNET: The Manufacturing Advocacy and Growth Network
- David Gilbert (LC 2001), Greater Cleveland Sports Commission & Destination Cleveland
- Elizabeth Grove (LC 2020), Lubrizol
- Patrick Hackett (OBC 2019, CLC Leadership Council), JumpStart, Inc.
- Ira Kaplan (LC 2003), Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff LLP
- Ethan Karp (LC2 2018, LC 2017, CLC Board), MAGNET The Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network
- Kelly Keefe (LC 2020, CLI 2012), ERC
- Robert Klonk (LC2 2017, LC 2016, CLC Board), Oswald Companies
- Susan Krantz (CLI 2011), Zinner & Co. LLP
- Edward Largent III (LC 2010), Westfield Insurance
- Wayne Lawrence, Weiss Movers and Storage
- Kara Lewis (LC 2020, CBB 2011), AB Bernstein
- Brittany O’Connor (CBB 2003), Citizens Bank
- Larry Oscar (LC 2009), Hahn Loeser & Parks LLC
- Shelly Peet (LC2 2013, LC 2009, CLC Board), Nordson
- Jon Pinney (LC2 2019, LC 2018), KJK
- Cecilia Render, Nordson Corporation Foundation
- Neal Restivo (LC 2017, CLC Board), Oatey Co.
- Kim Riley (LC 2017), Hylant Group
- Jim Rollins (LC 2020, Meaden & Moore Ltd.
- Mark Ross (LC 2016), PwC (retired)
- Marc Sanchez (LC 2013), Frantz Ward LLP
- Gary Shamis, Winding River Consulting
- Drew Stelzer (CBB 2021, OBC 2019), Schauer Group
- Heather Stoll (CLI 2020, LC 2017), Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland
- Mark Sutherland (LC 2016, CLC Board)
- Eddie Taylor Jr. (LC 2000), Taylor Oswald, LLC
- Tod Wagner (LC 2017), Bober Markey Fedorovich
- Leon Wilson (CLI 2016), Cleveland Foundation
List current as of 12/15/2020
PAST PRESENTERS PITCHES & PROGRESS
- Watch the 2020 finalist pitches >
- Shana Black (16:28)
- Jowan Smith (22:48)
- Jason C. Miller (28:50)
- Sanjanasri Vedavyas (35:05)
- Diane Mastnardo & Jacque Mastnardo (41:45)
- Logan Dior Williams & Denyelle E. Rashid (48:46)